Project - Preparing EE's site for the launch of the iPhone X /8 in 2017. Created in collaboration with Apple.
A challenging project which required me to manage 12 designers, 65 different EE project managers and product owners, a myriad of legacy systems and a mountain of conflicting requirements - all to achieve a consistent, good quality user experience for EE iPhone customers.
Product /service - New features and upgrades across EE's site to improve the experience of buying, owning and troubleshooting an iPhone X/8.
Duration - 6 months
Team - Design lead, 4 x designers, and an incredible 65 different product owners and marketing managers from across all EE departments
Activities - UX audit, guerrilla research, user story mapping, sketching /prototyping, A/B testing, and a whole lot of people and project management.
Deliverables - Responsive prototype, user story map, detailed screen mockups and handover dev specs for each department.

I recognised quickly that the project brief had divided what should he a harmonious experience into sections, each to be handled in isolation by different teams. I created an enormous user story map in an unused corridor in the EE offices, initiated morning stand-ups, and began encouraging the teams to use the wall as their central reference, meeting and collaborating daily on design decisions.

The user story map followed this structure, making clear stories and features for each release, and featuring screen mockups which allowed anyone stopping by to see the latest work from each team. With over 65 stakeholders, many of whom had never spoken and almost all of which had conflicting and competing requirements, we added EE departments and managers to the map, to help the design team track all who needed to feel ownership.

I used Balsamiq to quickly produce mockups of screen and journey variants, many of which were A/B tested to gauge performance. For the first time, EE designers could use the mockups on the map to understand the entirety of journeys from a users' perspective and whilst we were severely limited by legacy systems, we were able to add a raft of minor usability and conversion refinements from this mapping exercise.

EE's particular focus was on conversion, and so the majority of effort went into the purchase journey for the new iPhones. Working with EE engineers to understand the limits of the back-end systems, I explored a range of different purchase journey configurations and introduced many new ideas which helped make EE's confusing suite of price plans and options easier to understand for customers. 

My work also covered improved online help to configure the new phones, troubleshooting and enhancements to 'My EE's' daily use features, such a understanding data usage, topping up credit and buying add-ons.

Because EE did not allow contact with users or conduct discovery work, we carried out guerrilla research by visiting stores and asking friends and family. Later in the process, we were able to A/B test variants on purchase journeys via an external agency. I wrote scripts, produced interactive Axure prototypes for testing and analysed results, taking findings back into the process to optimise designs.

Working together with Apple, our team also explored concepts for Release 2 designs. Here we showed how Apple products and accessories such as Beats headphones could be sold in a more engaging way with animations and full-screen visuals which more closely matched Apple's own promotional imagery.

Back to Top